Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hanging Book Sling

So, I only get spurts of time for things like this, due to a certain toddler who rightly demands my absolute attention at all times! So, most of my blog posts will probably come out all in one day like this to catch up on all things I've been wanting to post but have been too busy to do so. I really wanted to use this blog to help me keep up with my Pinterest projects and to share them with others to prove that fun crafts can be done by those of us common folk with schedules and lives and less than perfect creative ability. I have become absolutely addicted to Pinterest since I found it. I think because I have needed some stress relief and creating really makes me feel good right now! Most of what you see here that I have created will not be original. This is not a "how-to" or tutorial blog. These projects are direct copies of others found on Pinterest. I will try to link up the tutorials for each project if they are available to give credit where credit is due.
So here's one of our latest favorites. The Hanging Book Display. We love it because it can be put at toddler level and allows kids to see the front of books so they recognize them easier. This makes more sense as a book display for toddlers because they can't read titles on spines yet. Here is our creation with contributions and help from grandmama:)



This idea was borrowed from Penny Carnival. I pretty much followed her steps, but discovered that I didn't have to double my fabric because it was heavy duty enough as is. So I ended up with extra fabric. This is not a problem because I will be making B a cute dress from it soon, that post to come later;) These are the supplies we used:

1. Piece of thick fabric 23 inches x 37 inches (You will need only 2/3 yard (note: you will need about 48 inches width for the 4 ft dowel, I used a 3 ft dowel)
2. Two 36 in wooden dowels, 5/8 in round
3. Two double curtain rod brackets. I could only find these at Lowes- $5 each (most expensive part of the project)

B has loved her book sling! We plan on making another for the playroom soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment